Friday, February 24, 2012

Desiring God


One of my focuses during my Lenten journey with the Lord is about taking better care of myself.   Top of the list in this category is food.

Sharing a meal with family and friends is a form of fellowship.  Jesus shared a meal with many – from the Pharisees to others that many considered undesirable.  Eating together was a form of acceptance and elevating the so-called undesirables to a level of equality.

Today, meals and snacks are family time.  Anytime people get together, they usually eat.  We joke about functions at the United Methodist Church – they usually include food.  I am involved in the Walk to Emmaus – and retreats and meetings always include way too much food.

But.  There is always a but.  I need to have better control of what I eat and how much I eat.  So, instead of “giving up” one specific food item for Lent, I have altered my eating.  By altering my diet to one that will make me healthier, I have made a lot of changes.

 Most diet plans are for self-glory.  They are to look better by bathing suit season, or a class reunion, or a wedding, or a vacation.  Diets are also about wanting to be healthier, but that is still a personal gain.  That has always been my problem with trying to lose weight before – it was always about me. 

Eating in a healthy and disciplined manner can be done to honor God.  It becomes about God and building a closer relationship with him.

I Corinthians 10:31 “So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.” (NIV)

A lot of my problem has been eating out of habit, or boredom, or even reward.  “It’s the weekend – we’ll make Mexican food.”  “It was a long day and I haven’t cooked – let’s order a pizza.”  Instead, by making small changes in planning and preparation, much bigger changes can happen.

The most important one – more time and a closer relationship with God.  Desiring time with God instead of food. 


How awesome is that?

Psalm 73:25-26:
Whom have I in heaven but You?
And earth has nothing I desire besides You.
My flesh and my heart may fail,
But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. (NIV)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this! I'm actually going to make a somewhat similiar post on my blog in the coming weeks as I too, am a bordom/reward eater! My issues with food are extremely deep seeded and hard to get rid of, so this will help me greatly...although...it is pizza night! ; ) In all seriouslness though, thank you, again. I will keep 1 Corinthians 10:31 with me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you been living at my house. You are describing me...

    ReplyDelete